TUTBURY CASTLE - Castle Street - Tutbury - East Staffordshire DE13 9JF
There has been a settlement at Tutbury for 3000 years and the name itslf comes from aScandanavian leader leader of the hill fort “Totta Burgh”
The current castle is a Norman fortress of some 960 years old and has boasted such temporary residents and visitirs as Mary, Queen of Scots took refuge here in 1568 an later was (held prisoner here 1585) Henry V111 and Henry De Ferrers, the 3rd Earl of Derby and James 1st.
Following a 3 week siege during the Englisg Civil war, the castle surrendered and was later demolished on the orders of Olicer Cromwell.
The impressive folly on the top of he hill is a recent addition from 1780
Today, The castle is a spectacular landmark standing proud over the river Dove and offers an incredible backdrop for wedding photographs.
Most wedding receptions take place in the marquee, with its fully functioning kitchen, it offers a superb location with endless food options and parking to suit even the biggest of celebrations.